Coverage & Policies

The following information is provided as an overview of the coverages available under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and is not intended to be all inclusive. Always refer to your policy and/or declarations page for full explanations regarding coverage, limitations, restrictions, exclusions, and deductibles.

Also Visit Policy Forms

Coverage Category Emergency Program Regular Program
Single Family Dwelling 35,000 250,000
2-4 Family Dwelling  35,000 250,000
Other Residential  100,000 250,000
Non-Residential 100,000 500,000

Coverage Category Emergency Program Regular Program
Residential 10,000 100,000
Non-Residential 100,000 500,000


A minimum deductible is applied separately to a building and its contents, although both may be damaged in the same flood. Higher deductibles are available to reduce policy premiums, and your MetLife Auto & Home Representative can provide information on available options. If your mortgagee requires you to carry flood insurance, the minimum policy limit and maximum deductible on your flood insurance coverage are subject to your mortgagee's approval.

What Does the Standard Flood Insurance Policy (SFIP) Cover?

The Standard Flood Insurance Policy (SFIP) Forms contain complete definitions of the coverages they provide. Direct physical losses caused by "floods" are covered. Also covered are losses resulting from flood-related erosion caused by waves or currents of water activity exceeding anticipated cyclical levels, or caused by a severe storm, flash flood, abnormal tidal surge, or the like, which result in flooding, as defined in the policy. Damage caused by mudslides (i.e., mudflows), as specifically defined in the policy forms, is covered. See policy for exact details.

What Is Covered in My Basement?

The NFIP defines a basement as any area of a building with a floor that is below ground level on all sides. While flood insurance does not cover basement improvements, such as finished walls, floors, or ceilings, or personal belongings that may be kept in a basement , such as furniture and other contents, it does cover structural elements, essential equipment and other basic items normally located in a basement. Many of these items are covered under building coverage, and some are covered under contents coverage. The NFIP encourages people to purchase both building and contents coverage for the broadest protection. See policy for exact details.

The following items are covered under building coverage, as long as they are connected to a power source and installed in their functioning locations:

  • Sump pumps.
  • Well water tanks and pumps, cisterns and the water in them.
  • Oil tanks and the oil in them, natural gas tanks and the gas in them.
  • Pumps and/or tanks used in conjunction with solar energy.
  • Furnaces, hot water heaters, air conditioners, and heat pumps.
  • Electrical junction and circuit breaker boxes, and required utility connections.
  • Foundation elements.
  • Stairways, staircases, elevators, and dumbwaiters.
  • Unpainted drywall and sheet rock walls and ceilings, including fiberglass insulation.
  • Cleanup.

The following items are covered under contents coverage:

  • Clothes washers
  • Clothes dryers
  • Food freezers and the food in them 

Is Replacement Cost Coverage Available?        

Only for single-family dwellings and residential condomimium buildings, if several criteria are met. Replacement cost coverage is available for a single-family dwelling, including a residential condominium unit that is the policyholder's principal residence and is insured for at least 80 percent of the unit's replacement cost at the time of the loss, up to the maximum amount of insurance available at the inception of the policy term. Replacement cost coverage does not apply to manufactured (i.e., mobile) homes smaller than certain dimensions specified in the policy. Losses are adjusted on a replacement cost basis for residential condominium building insured under the Residential Condominium Building Association Policy (RCBAP). The principal residence and the 80 percent insurance to value requirements for single-family dwellings do not apply to the RCBAP. However, coverage amounts less than 80 percent of the building's full replacement cost value at the time of loss will be subject to a co-insurance penalty.

Contents losses are always adjusted on an actual cash value basis. If the replacement cost conditions are not met, the building loss is also adjusted on an actual cash value basis. Actual cash value means the replacement cost of an insured item of property at the time of loss, less the value of physical depreciation as to the item damaged.

What Is Increased Cost of Compliance (ICC) Coverage?

Increased Cost of Compliance (ICC) under the NFIP provides for the payment of a claim to help pay for the cost to comply with State or community floodplain management laws or ordinances from a flood event in which a building has been declared substantially damaged or repetitively damaged. When an insured building is damaged by a flood and the State or community declares the building to be substantially damaged or repetitively damaged, ICC will help pay for the cost to elevate, floodproof, demolish or relocate the building up to $30,000. This coverage is in addition to the building coverage for the repair of actual physical damages from flood under the Standard Flood Insurance Policy (SFIP). See policy for exact details.

Get covered today.
Contact your local MetLife Auto & Home® Representative or call our general agency directly at 877-638-0022.